Sunday, August 31, 2008

What's my loyalty obligation here?

This afternoon my family embarked on a task I should have tackled on my own - furniture shopping. Let me paint the picture for you.

Our couch and chair were purchased used for $150 in early 2000. At that time, it was at least 5 years old, but in good shape. It is fugly, but was a good deal and we were poor.

Since then it has been peed on, puked on, laid on by a smelly big dog, had Cheetos eaten on it, milk spilled on it...the list goes on. To me, despite being cleaned many times, it feels sticky and smells. I basically want to burn it.

From a previous shopping trip, I had my heart set on a beauty of a sectional at Ethan Allen. It would run about $5000. And while I know that's a bit pricey (a bit? hahaha), I thought hubby was on board. I already threw all other brochures, measurements and cards of sharky furniture sales people since we had reached a decision. As of yesterday I have learned that he was only like 35% on board. He's a good bluffer.

Inspired by all of the "No finance charges until 2013!" commercials, we headed out this afternoon to test out a few additional models.

Despite our pre-entry pep talk, the girls skipped, bounced and ran from couch to couch, narrowing missing expensive lamps and plaster statues of frogs sitting atop ship wheels. They flung themselves over ottomans and laid on sofas with little sandals comfortably perched up on the arm. Threats were issued. Energy levels waned momentarily but eventually perked back up. It was only until we were really done in one store did our sales associate want to sit and chat at a group during which my older daughter almost fell asleep. To me, that's actually a sign of a really good couch!

Anyway...silly us moved on to another store where we were greeted by another vulture...er...sales associate. Funny enough, I really wanted some help. When he asked what we were looking for I said, "a sofa or sectional with a deep seat and high back." He replied, "Oh, okay. Well I don't want to be on top of you, so I'll let you folks walk around on your own." Gee thanks.

Twenty minutes later he found us to hand us a flier with some special deals on it, and was gone in like 15 seconds. That was it.

I ended up calling him later to ask the measurements on a few pieces of furniture and that conversation went something like this.

Him: "Which collection was it?"
Me: "Chamblee"
Him: "Chandler?"
Me: "No sir, Chamblee"
Him: "Can you spell it?
Me: "Sure. C. H. A. M..."
Him: "F?"
Me: "M as in Martha."
Him: "C. H. A. N..."
Me: "No, M as in Martha."

GOOD GRIEF!

This went on for a few more minutes as his first repeat back of the fully spelled word had an R and F in it. WTF?

When he came back to the phone with the measurements, his first question was, "When are you planning to purchase this?" *sigh*

So my question to world out there is what my loyalty obligation is here? To be honest, I think we are going to buy a few of the pieces from this collection. I don't particularly like this guy. I can't imagine dealing with him through a purchase process. I certainly wouldn't want to address any bumps in the road that may come along with ordering and having it delivered. I'm a patient girl, but I really thrive when dealing with competent people. This guy is falling a little short of my mark. Okay, a lot short. But can I be brazen enough to walk into the showroom tomorrow, and yes, he'll be working 9:00 - 9:00, and buy the furniture from another associate? I don't want to wait until a day he's off because their great financing deal ends tomorrow. I'm in a pickle!

No comments: