Saturday, August 23, 2008

A busy Saturday with a lunch stop at the NASCAR Sports Grille

It's been a busy Saturday...

I exercised, showered, got the dog refills on some prescriptions, signed my younger daughter up for dance class (!!!), went to Target for an umbrella and dance stuff, ate lunch at NASCAR Sports Grille and went to the evil Wal-Mart looking for dance shoes, which they did not have. On the way out, however, I saw a poster for the new NKOTB album. *swoon* I spent a large portion of my teenage years lusting after each of the NKOTB, with the exception of Joey. I'm sure I'll have more fodder on that later.

Since so many folks are always looking for restaurant reviews in the Myrtle Beach area, I'm going to start doing a few of my own to help the cause. NASCAR Sports Grille today was pretty good. Despite it being a weekend and still technically "in-season", the place was pretty empty at around 12:30 PM. As would be expected, there is loads of racing memorabilia, if that interests you.

Since we've been last, it's had a major overhaul which includes small flat screen TVs at each table. My first reaction was "Wow! This is cool!", especially when I realized Finding Nemo was on one of the channels. I'm assuming a few of your choices are TV feeds while others are tapes continuously running somewhere up in a master control room. Our kids' selection and another video of all-time most dramatic racing crashes led me to that conclusion. My youngest had some unknown, yet strong, ill-reaction to Nemo, so we ended up watching synchronized swimming from the Olympics.

Hubby ordered a hot dog and fries ($10.49!). I got a grilled chicken sandwich with Monterrey jack cheese and bacon and a side of onion rings (about the same price as hubby's). The girls got macaroni and cheese and pizza.

While we waited, we first visited the bathrooms. They were clean, though down two flights of stairs. Thankfully my kiddos are old enough to handle such obstacles with ease, but I wondered how a disabled or elderly patron would fair. There was a unisex bathroom, presumably handicap accessible, at the top of the stairs. I'll assume it was a single because when we attempted to take a peak, it was locked.

After returning to the table, the gals colored on the place mats they were given then hubby and I did a word search race on them. Just for the record - I smoked him! :-)

Our food came quickly and was prepared well. I was surprised, though, to find that the pizza and mac and cheese, both, were served with fries. While all food was good, this place gets a thumbs down on offering kids more nutritious options.

My chicken sandwich had no hard or undesirable parts. The onion rings were delish! The batter was thick and crisp. I fully admit to peeling it off the last few and only eating the fried part! (yes, I'm the same girl was just complaining about nutritious value in the last paragraph) The mac and cheese was the good Kraft stuff and very creamy. The fries were crisp and perfectly salty. Hubby's hot dog looked yummy, topped with chili and some other fixin's. I have no complaints about the food at all!

As we ate, our family was unusually quiet. It took me a minute to figure it out, but it was because of that TV! We don't normally eat, all together, in front of one. Everyone, myself included, was chowing whilst watching teams of women swim their routines. Silence from us. The background noise was very loud, though. There are several very large screen TVs going at the same time and the volume was quite high on them.

Our bill, with a 20% tip, came to just over $42. To me, that feels a bit steep for lunch when your entrees include a chicken sandwich and hot dog for the adults and two kids' meals. I did forget to ask for a local's discount, so I could have gotten by with a little less probably. I also did not have a coupon. It's quite possible they make it easy for folks to save a little cash and I missed out.

If I was a tourist, this would probably be a fun place to eat...especially if I was (and I am!) a racing fan. The menu choices were good and basic. I venture to believe there was something for everyone. As a local, we probably will not return until some touristy friends are in town, though. It was loud and pricey.

No comments: