Saturday, August 30, 2008

Holy crap! ECU beat Virginia Tech!

I can't say that I've been a particularly outspokenly proud graduate of East Carolina University, but that's got nothing to do with my feelings for the school. I thoroughly enjoyed my six years there - and yes, that did include a masters degree. I'm no Tommy Boy.

While we were there, we attended almost every home football game. While I couldn't care less about football, there's just something about sitting in that crowd. It's electrifying - especially when we were playing a team with a great reputation. ECU has struggled to make it into the top 25. During my senior year, I can remember the players wearing "We're 26!" shirts in celebration of almost making it.

For weeks my husband has been waiting in anticipation for ECU's football game against Virginia Tech. He, also, isn't one to wear a big pirate sweatshirt or attend the quarterly alumni mixers. Yet, we love us some purple and gold on the inside.

Anyway, we had dinner with this guy a few months ago at a mutual friend's house. It was the first time we met him and his family. And while they were delightful, we were sort of struck by how he wore a very feminine looking Virginia Tech sun visor throughout the dinner. Mind you, it was winter, we were indoors, it was dark...it was odd! And it reminded me of something women wear on a golf course.

Since that day, I've seen him with it on several times, including just recently driving through the neighborhood. He's definitely committed.

As it turns out, this guy's son is in my daughter's kindergarten class. When we saw him on the first day of school, hubby and I, both, almost burst out laughing when he was without that visor. I guess it's frowned upon in the corporate workplace.

So to wrap up this story, ECU beat Virginia Tech today! The score was 27 to 22 and it was won in the last minutes. Virginia Tech was ranked 17. This is absolutely an upset! And being the childish people we are, we have plans, early tomorrow morning, to stick an ECU magnet on Mr. Virginia Tech's mailbox! LOL

There will be no damage done. No crime committed. It's merely a gift from one neighbor to another. Mwahahaha Hubby wants us to get our daughter a big ECU skirt to wear to school. But duh! That would blow our cover! :-p

And no...we probably really put the magnet on the mailbox. But just in case we get nutty, it's sitting on the dining room table just next to our front door.

WAY TO GO, PIRATES!!!

No comments: