Sunday, August 10, 2008

A weekend sans the princesses

I must be well rested from our weekend "away" as it's 11:30, I have a super full day tomorrow and I'm still awake and typing. It either signifies enough sleep or an addiction to my laptop, which I missed dearly.

We stayed at the Marina Inn at Grand Dunes, a mere 7 or so miles from our home. This is the hotel I mentioned that gave us an incredible "neighbors" rate. And for letting them know it was our anniversary, they comped us some beautiful chocolates waiting for us, along with a handwritten note from the general manager, thanking us for choosing their hotel for our special occasion.

The hotel is located on the inter coastal waterway on the edge of a super exclusive, and gated, neighborhood that I will never even dream to live in. The "poor" people in that neighbor are sitting on about 3/4 of a million dollars of real estate. The rich ones closer to $6 million.

The lobby of the hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Trust me, I'm not easy to impress. I'm picky and critical, I admit that freely. This lobby was so beautiful.

They have a interesting check-in service. Instead of a front desk, there are two small desks at which customer service reps sit and invite you to sit with them. It's nice as it's quiet and more private, however the small downside is there is no set up to form a line. Because of that Mr. Ants-In-His-Trouser-Jeans-Who-Failed-To-Notice-Others committed a classic case of cutsies, but we let it slide.

Our room was in the Harbor Tower and was also, was very very nice. It had a lovely balcony facing the waterway, wine glasses, a mini-fridge and coffee maker, robes, down bedding...it was great. The bathroom was a shrine to marble. Oh and one more fun mention, nice touches such as valet parking and access to the gym and business centers (both open 24 hours) were included in the price. I appreciate not being nickeled and dimed, so to speak.

The hotel has a beautiful two-level pool and two hot tubs. Along side the pool was a bar that also served snacks like chicken fingers, nachos and wings. We partook in a few libations that evening before getting ready for dinner at Waterscapes, the hotel's restaurant.

Again, I'm a critical gal, but the atmosphere at Waterscapes was so nice. Our waitress was very attentive, engaging and knowledgeable about the menu. Before our food arrived, we were treated to a bite from the chef's selection, which was a shrimp salad with a pineapple salsa. So yummy!

Prior to our entrees, we got salads and honestly folks, they blew them away! They were imaginative! Mine was a wedge of Romaine lettuce with broiled (I believe) Parmesan cheese on top. The dressing was a creamy peppercorn, maybe? It was garnished with kalamatta olives. Delish! My hubby got a flatbread salad. It was a piece of grilled flatbread topped with prosciutto, goat cheese and a "slaw" of greens and a creamy dressing. After these two dishes, I was full...yet pushed forward.

Our entrees were next. Hubs got a grilled grouper sitting atop a fennel pollen and something else risotto. He said it was divine. It looked fantastic, but I'm not a fan of fennel so I didn't sample. I got a ginger shrimp over lo mein noodles. The sauce was spicier and sweeter than I imagined and I didn't end up liking the dish, though I'll definitely say it was prepared beautifully. The shrimp was perfectly cooked, as were the noodles and veggies. It was just my personal taste that got in the way. For dessert we got the chocolate creme brulee. ...to die for! We both really enjoyed our dinner.

The next morning we got room service for breakfast. It arrived quickly, hot and was great. We split some Bananas Foster French toast and an omelet with bacon, sausage, onions, peppers and cheese. It was pricey, but very very good!

That day we headed out to the hotel's beach cabana in their shuttle. For about five hours we sat on lounge chairs under an umbrella, reading, sleeping, chatting, breathing...it was beautiful! My only complaint was that the umbrellas were placed really close together, but as luck had it, no one spent quite as much time there as we did, so we ended up with a lot of quiet. We had lunch that afternoon at the beach cabana, and again, the food was quality. I was just disappointed that the "bar" didn't have liquor. A nice frozen pina colada with rum would've been a nice touch to that afternoon. But I can't say it's absence really dampened it much.

Here's were our only hitch began. We got some odd housekeeping on Saturday. Someone had been in our room, but didn't do a very good job. Our bed was sort of made. Our half-full glasses of now-separating OJ were left in the room. The room service tray was gone. Our bath mat was gone and our coffee supplies hadn't been replenished. We went down to the pool for another hour and a half, had some drinks (bless you, poolside bar!) and thought perhaps that they would come back while we were gone.

Upon returning, we showered and dressed for our anniversary dinner, and I called housekeeping. They promised to send someone up. When we returned, the glasses were gone, along with my opened, but unfinished, package of swedish fish, but still no bath mat or coffee. ??? I'm still baffled, but these things didn't really affect our stay. I'll mention them to the general manager, though.

That evening we ate at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. One word...amazing. Honestly this place never fails to dazzle me. I've been to three locations. Hubby has as well, different ones, though. How often can you go into any restaurant knowing, with 100% certainty, that you'll walk out feeling like you've had one spectacular meal? I can name only two with Ruth's Chris being one.

We had three servers and a host, who may have been the GM, I'm not sure, checking in on us regularly. They recognized our anniversary and made us feel quite special.

We started with the Osso Busco veal raviolis as an appetizer. Divine. So rich and flavorful. We then each got a filet topped with bleu cheese. I, personally, should have stuck with the petite filet as my eyes were bigger than my tummy. We also got a side of potatoes au gratin. As usual, everything was cooked and seasoned perfectly. If it had been socially acceptable to lick the plates after each course we would have. It hurt to finish my steak, but I just couldn't leave that last bite sitting there in butter uneaten. It's heaven.

For dessert we had the bread pudding in brandy sauce. In hindsight, we should have gone with the creme brulee again as it's just a tad lighter...regardless, we polished it off then rolled...er...strolled back to our room. Within half an hour hubby was asleep much like the scene after Thanksgiving dinner. To the staff at Ruth's Chris, you're beyond great! Our meals are always special when we dine there. Thank you! You do a stellar job!

Today we departed the hotel just a little earlier than planned as it was cloudy and hubby was sunburned from yesterday. No sense ending the weekend in pain from another day at the beach. Instead, we went furniture shopping. Of course I fell in love with a sectional at Ethan Allen which will probably end up around $6000. Let's just say I have some saving up to do! :-)

Happy Anniversary to my sweet darling husband. I love you dearly and I hope to be married to you another 11 years...and then 11 years after that...and another...and another...

No comments: