Saturday, August 30, 2008

Could I be losing my religion?

For year, and years, I have been in love with Tony Stewart. For those living under a rock, he's the Sprint Cup driver of the #20 Home Deport car, a two time championship and further a champion in ever series he's ever had a full-time ride in. In my eyes, he's a god.

What's funny is that in 1999, his rookie year in the then Winston Cup series, I loathed him. I was at the Coca Cola 600 in Charlotte that year and Stewie pulled double duty, racing also in the Indy 500. Prior to that race, I didn't have much an opinion about him. On that day, but before the race started, the sight of him made me sick.

In his defense, it wasn't entirely his fault. It had something to do with the every 30 second updates from the track promoters.

"Ladies and Gentleman, Tony Stewart has just moved up to 4th place in the Indianapolis 500."

"Ladies and Gentleman, Tony Stewart has just taken 3rd place."

"Ladies and Gentleman, Tony Stewart has just finished the Indianapolis 500."

"Ladies and Gentleman, Tony Stewart has just stepped out of his car."

"Ladies and Gentleman, Tony Stewart just peed."

You get the point.

Then when he finally got to the track, his helicopter circled around the inside with him standing in the doorway in his primarily white fire suit, waving. I flipped him off.

I think it was the 2001 season when the tides began to change. I can't remember the circumstances, but I found myself really wanting to watch his speech at the annual awards banquet in NYC. Before I knew it, we went to five races that next year and found ourselves to be card carrying members of the Tony Stewart fan club. Before you make a "dork" judgement, we did it because there used to be an annual picnic where you could meet him - which we did. My husband said I was more "glowing" in this pic than on our wedding day. Untrue.

As a result of my love, I've brainwashed my children. "Who will win the race this weekend?" They answer in unison. "Stewie". "Who does mommy love?" "Stewie." Now, I may have to take those back.

This afternoon I was reading Matt Myftiu 's blog Nascar: Beyond the Track and he referenced an upcoming article about Smoke in Rolling Stone magazine. Let me give you a few quotes from this umm...enligtening??...piece of journalism.


"My parents are afraid my dick's gonna rot off," Stewart says. and "If there's one thing I don't lack, it's pussy. Between me and Tom here, there's two things we definitely don't lack, and that's pussy and money." Stewart is standing in his relaxed pose, with his thumbs hooked into his jeans. Carnival sounds and car horns float into the lot from the other side of the vast Talladega infield. "Pussy, money and race cars. That's pretty much all I care about."

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice. I kind of feel like someone burst my bubble. I love Tony for being passionate and not being afraid to show it. To me, that gave him depth, even if his actions were sometimes deemed "unbecoming to the sport." These little quote gems, however, left me a bit disenchanted, though. Surely my racing hero doesn't have the maturity of an almost-forty-year-old-rough-around-the-edges frat boy, does he? I still want to think not, but....... *shrug*

So who splits the difference between Jimmie "Media Darling" Johnson and Tony "Pussy, money and race cars. That's pretty much all I care about" Stewart? I feel like I'm losing my Sunday ritual of worshipping my Stew.

No comments: