Saturday, January 3, 2009

Myrtle Beach Resturant Review - Olive Garden (it's getting sad)

I can remember, about 15 years ago, going to Disney World with my family and discovering the wonder of Olive Garden. The pasta, the salad, the bread...yummy, yummy, yummy. Until a few years ago, it was the setting for a wonderful meal, every single time! But then, it changed. And I can't explain what, exactly, what's different but now it's pretty undesirable, despite there always being an hour wait to be seated during the tourist season here in the good old Grand Strand.

A week, or so, ago, we got a $6 off two entrees coupon and this swayed me to give it another try. It was the first one in a few years.

When we arrived, it was early - before 5:30 PM and we were seated immediately. Our waitress was very nice and eager to please. She offered to start our daughters' food immediately so they could have their food quickly, which is always a plus.

As I browsed the menu, nothing stood out, which should have been my first clue that I'd be disappointed. I finally chose the Braised Beef and Tortelloni.

The tortelloni was yummy, as was the sauce, but the beef looked much like dog food. It had no texture and appeared to be quick processed. I had a hard time distinguishing immediately between it and the sliced mushroom, also in the sauce. Just for the record Olive Garden, mushrooms and slices of beef should be easy to differentiate.

Even with our coupon, our dinner came to about $50. And trust me, I would have much rather spent a few more dollars and headed down to Bonefish Grill. I live for Bang Bang Shrimp!

No comments: