Monday, November 17, 2008

Oh the irony...

Today I got on a roll of crossing tasks off my ever expanding "to do" list. One I had been particularly dreading was writing an email to my daughter's principal about our upcoming vacation to Disney World. It's against school policy to take your child out for travel. It's against district policy to do so for more than three consecutive days. Double whammy.

I'm not sure what got into me, but I fired it off. My wording acknowledged the policies. I expressed our reasoning for travel. I stated that our decision was made. I hit send without doing more than proofreading. That's not typically my style. I like to mull for awhile. I like to save things in my drafts. I like to read it to a minimum of a dozen people. Okay, so maybe that's a slight overstatement, but you get what I'm saying.

My daughter received an award for perfect attendance for the first quarter. I think that bolstered my confidence. Even when the principal emailed back about needing to schedule a meeting with the vice principal and the attendance officer to create an Attendance Intervention Plan, I was almost smug. No sweat. Hell, we're in mid-November and the kid hasn't missed a day! Then the phone rang...

"Mrs. Byers? This is Lori, the school nurse. We have your daughter here and she's running a temperature of 101.7. She doesn't say anything is hurting, but we'd like for you to come get her."

Obviously I went right to the school and got my little rosy cheeked girl. I called the doctor and we got in for a 4:00 PM appointment. The verdict? Double ear infection. She'll be out of school at least another day.

Anyone see the irony? I braved up to the principal. The the school nurse shot me down. Sure sure, these days will be medically excused. They won't count towards the ten maximum of unexcused. I already have the doctor's note. We're good to go. Still...oh the irony.

No comments: