Saturday, November 8, 2008

Idle conversation in the hour and half wait to vote

As my daughter told my husband on Tuesday night, "I boated" (voted). She proudly wore the sticker she earned. Sure she didn't actually select a candidate, but she waited with me and her sister. That was a bigger commitment to her than choosing the next president of the United States.

Of course, I'm tragically late in talking about this topic, so no need to discuss who I voted for and who won. I will say I didn't have my mind made up until I got into line, so I wasn't in love with anyone. Yet I will say that several people I know have been laid off or lost their jobs completely since Tuesday, so that's a little scary. I pray it's not an indication of what the economy will be like during the next four years.

So anyway, while we waited for roughly 90 minutes, I listened. Everyone around me was making friends with each other. I was on my own as, I guess, I had my children to talk too. Here are snippets of what I heard. Gotta love idle chatter.

"I wasn't sad when my parents sold the house I grew up in. Most of my memories were of getting yelled and grounded there."

"What is dog rescue? I mean, were the animals actually in a threatening situation?"

"Are golden retrievers good with kids?"

"I remember walking through snow that was waist high to school" (uphill both ways, I'm thinking)

"Do you teach them at home?" (said to me)

(said to my girls) "Girls, in my Happy Meal, I have a boy toy. Would you like it?"
(oldest daughter) shakes head
(me) "Mommy would"

"Man the line is long."

"How much longer will we have to wait?"

"We've been waiting for 50 minutes."

"Waiting sucks."

"Waiting, waiting, waiting..."

"Have you ever noticed that Wal-Mart's loud speaker is really loud?"

No comments: