Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Petition against "Tropic Thunder" for its hate language

While this news is a bit old, I can't not blog about it.

Two weeks ago a friend of mine emailed me about the newest Ben Stiller movie, Tropic Thunder. I'd give it some linklove, but I'm not terribly pleased about it so I'll refrain. I can't find an accurate count, but the word "retard", as a noun and label, was used so many times throughout the movie that David Tolleson, president of the National Down Syndrome Congress (NDSC), stated, “To say this film is offensive is an understatement. For me, watching this film felt like sitting through an assault.” Other advocates have reported that the film is much worse than even they anticipated from the offensive promotional materials (which have been taken off of the air by DreamWorks).

Check out this letter written to Ben Stiller by Dave Hingsburger. I love you, Dave, for asking Ben to take personal responsibility for his offensiveness. They were his words, spoken by him. They'll generate a profit that fill his pockets.

I guess it's funny, Ben, to make fun of someone who doesn't have the best of abilities to fight back. I guess it's funny to crush someone with words. I guess it's funny to project the acceptability of my first two points to loads of impressionable movie viewers.

Truthfully, I'm bummed. I liked Ben Stiller. The "Meet the Parents" and "Meet the Fockers" movies are among my favorites. But I just can't look at him in the same light anymore. If he thinks it's perfectly fine to use the word "retard" with such a casual aire, I dare him to use the word "nigger" to the same extent in his next movie. Up for the challenge of taking on every African American and those against hate language, Ben, et al? I'm thinking not.

For those interested, here is a petition against Dreamworks studios and the actors in the film, Ben Stiller, Jack Black and Robert Downey, Jr. I've proudly signed it. Such hate is just unacceptable in today's American society. It's bad enough someone would use language perpetuating it - but to profit from it? Disgusting.

No comments: