Friday, September 5, 2008

My ballerina and the fight for her darn slippers

I realize I'm being a tad dramatic, but indulge me.

My little girl will be starting dance class for the first time on Monday. She's been talking about taking ballet for months. When we registered her a few weeks ago, she contained her anticipation, I but could see it just below the surface. Her sparkly blue eyes were just beaming with delight. You should have seen them when we tried on tap shoes!

That day we were unable to get ballet slippers because she needed a narrow size and the local dance shop doesn't carry them. That very afternoon, two weeks ago tomorrow, I ordered the correct size online from a company called Dance Distributors another friend had used before. I can't offer them a courtesy link because I'm mad at them today. Anyway, by Thursday of that week I began teasing my daughter with things like "your ballet slippers should be here today or tomorrow!"

More days went by. I looked online. It appeared that the slippers were in stock, but the sweater I also ordered (the wrap sweater I always wanted as a child dancer!) was on back order. The whole thing was being held up because of that sweater. Gee folks, thanks so much for letting me know about the delay. If I had known, this whole thing could have been resolved before it was a problem.

I called immediately and asked if the slippers could be shipped separately. I was told it would be no problem, the gal I was talking too was going to the warehouse to make sure it got sent that day and it would be two-day FedEx home. She tried to charge me an additional $3 in shipping. Ummm, no. Regardless, I should have gotten the order by Wednesday.

This morning, they are STILL NOT HERE! So I called at 9:00 AM and was told they would look for tracking info and get back to me. By 1:00 PM I hadn't heard back, so I called again and got a minor run-around with someone who obviously just answered the phone. She was very nice and understanding, just didn't seem to know how to help me. I continued to wait for a phone call back from the original person. At 5:45 PM I called again and said, nicely, that I really felt like they needed to overnight FedEx me another pair so I could have them tomorrow or Monday. The gal said she would get back to me ASAP. Within an hour we get an email notice that the slippers shipped via FedEx home and would be here TUESDAY. ARRRRRRGH!!!!!

I called again. To be honest, I have no idea how the world of FedExing works. Perhaps they could call them and bump up the shipping time? I don't know. *shrug* Evidently, that's not possible. I will not have the slippers for my sweetie pea's first lesson on Monday. I already called my mother and cried to her.

It's not fair! Let me be the first to say that my daughter can totally be...shall we say, challenging? But with regard to dance class and her shoes, she's been so patient. She's the president of the "never let 'em see your emotions" club - which is odd since her mom and big sister are among the gushiest people alive. I know she's just dying to enjoy these slippers even if she won't let on. And I'm pissed she's had to wait. And I'll be darned if she goes to her first class ever without shoes.

I will now have to go to the dance shop tomorrow to buy her slippers that don't fit properly. They'll be too wide. I will only allow her to use them on the carpet with the small hope the real ones arrive on Monday. I guess I'll hang on to the other slippers for recital, since we'll need a new pair then. In fact, I may put away the wider ones just in case her foot changes shape. *sigh* It's not fair!!! Oh, and just for kicks, the dance shop doesn't do refunds. If I end up returning the slippers, I'll need to exchange them. Perhaps I'll get the wrap sweater I have since cancelled!

The humorous part in all of this is that during my last conversation with one of the gals (who, also was very nice and tried very hard to help) she mentioned wanting to kind of compensate me for this issue. She offered me a coupon towards a future purchase. Ahahahahahahahahaha! I told her I wanted a refund of sorts of this purchase because I had no intention of buying from them again.

I know today's little ballet slipper was intensified because I've had a frustrating day. We were kind of stuck inside by the weather. I had a TON of work to do. My children fought or tried to crack their heads open on coffee tables all day long. I should have closed up the laptop and not even attempted to work. We would have all been better off. They're such great kids and it's not their fault...but man they just about drove me over the edge.

Next week little one starts preschool and I'll get 9 hours of beautiful uninterrupted work time in a library a week. I think my stress level about work is going to plummet as a result of this precious time. All I pray is that the wifi in the library is reliable!

Now I'm off to work...tomorrow I have a fun Lane Bryant store to tell.

[photo courtesy of www.discountdance.com]

No comments: