Saturday, February 21, 2009

Myrtle Beach Restaurant Review - City Bar

Hubby and I had the pleasure of going out to dinner sans our beautiful, yet sometimes annoying, cherubs. We've both been pretty high-strung over the past few weeks and were really craving a nice, quiet and divine eating experience. Hubs had been to City Bar in Myrtle Beach once before with a few co-workers for drinks and suggested it. I took a look at their menu and was game.

Before we start talking about the atmosphere and food, I have to give a quick shout-out to an online reservation system that I've used before in other cities but didn't realize it had any Myrtle Beach clients. OpenTable.com allows you to search out restaurants in your area by zip code, cuisine, etc and make a reservation without having to pick up the phone and talk to anyone. I'm lazy and I admit that. I hate calling restaurants to make a ressie. I don't think about it until, what I believe to be, their busiest time of the evening. I know, I know...they'll pick up the phone all the same and help me with my arrangements. I just don't enjoy doing it. So how lovely is OpenTable and their system of allowing me to browse which eateries in my area have openings at my desired time and making a reservation without much effort? They even have some system of accruing points for free dining certificates, though I haven't thoroughly figured that out yet.

When we arrived at 7:00 PM, we had our reservation, but didn't need it. As the name implies, there is an actual bar at the front of the establishment and a dining room behind it. What immediately struck me was how cozy and intimate the atmosphere was. Hubs and I were seated in a small booth, just for two. The lighting was warm, but minimal. Our seating felt very private and during our entire meal, I saw, but didn't hear other patrons. The music was louder and more upbeat than what I had in mind, but it added to the feeling of being in a slightly funky, yet not intimidating, place. It had a casual but upscale place. We really enjoyed the ambiance, and trust me when I say I'm critical.

We were seated immediately and placed drink orders. While I had a cocktail, their wine list was lengthy and nice. I only glanced so I couldn't tell you if they had anything truly special, but I did see a few choices that would have pleased me quite nicely. Hubby ordered a beer that was on the list, but ended up not being in stock. Our waiter said it was back ordered (who knew there was back ordering for beer!?) and he chose another selection.

We spent some time browsing the menu, trying to decide if we wanted a few small plates or single entrees. Truth be told, there were only a handful of options I would not choose and many that I would. I left it up to the man, but secretly hoped he would choose small plates. I'm a sucker for variety for I'm always the gal that makes everyone else at the table order first because I can't decide.

We ended up going with three small options - Chicken Roulade, Blackened Beef Tenderloin and a Santa Monica Crab Cake. The chicken was delicious. I had to italicize that because I wanted to lick the plate clean of the sauce once we ate the dish. The cheese blend within it was perfection. The gouda had just a bit of smokiness. The sauce had just a hint of spice. It was so good!

The blackened beef was so delish. Again, I could have eaten an entire plateful of it. We ordered it rare and it was perfectly cooked and seasoned. It sat atop some lovely pickled veggies...carrots, cabbage and onions, I believe. In fact, the vegetables almost had a gingery pickled taste. I may be picking up on the wrong flavor because it was subtle, but so good.

The crab cake wasn't my favorite but that may have been because there was little sauce with it. I'm a fan of a hollandaise or other creamy accompaniment. Though to it's favor, the cake was very meaty and of generous size. The flavor was nice. I was just missing a sauce.

Believe it or not, I've never eaten from a small plate menu so I wasn't sure how the portion size would be. We went with three choices because we couldn't narrow the list of things we wanted to try down more. And I'll definitely say that this was the perfect amount of food - especially for someone who wants dessert! The chicken roulade plate, for example, appeared to be one breast's worth of meat. The crab cake was just a smidge smaller than the size of a CD, but quite thick. I liken the portions something along the lines of a tasting menu size.

For dessert we had both the Creme Brulee and White Chocolate Bread Pudding. I had just a bite of the creme brulee and it was quite good and served with a chocolate topped biscuit. My white chocolate pudding was also very good, though I wish it had been served just a bit warmer and with more white chocolate flavor. It was mild. Though even with these slight criticisms, it was very good.

Now for one of the best parts...the service. Our waiter, I wish I could remember his name, was very attentive without being intrusive. I could see where he generally stood, keeping an eye on us. As soon as I put my glass down after having the last sip of my Cosmo, he immediately walked over to ask if I'd like another. I was impressed and pleased. The restaurant wasn't busy at the time, so he wasn't forced to table hop, but his attention to detail was really appreciated.

With three small plates, two beers, two cocktails and two desserts, our bill came to $80. A generous tip took us up a bit more, but it was worth it. There is no kids' menu and I would definitely not bring our girls here. I don't know if there is an official "adults only" policy, but nothing about City Bar says "family atmosphere" to me...which is exactly what we were looking for last night. I can remember once going to the Melting Pot listening to a toddler scream the entire meal. But I digress...

To wrap up, our night out was really nice. City Bar and OpenTable.com both receive a huge momorable mention. I'd recommend them to my friends and family without hesitation. I can't wait to return to City Bar. For a quiet and intimate evening with refined, yet casual, food this is the place to go.

No comments: