Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Is it me or is road rage on the rise in the Grand Strand?

Maybe I'm just more aware since my run in with another vehicle two months ago, but folks behind the wheel in the Grand Strand are just plain crazy lately! I've been in no less than five close calls and witness countless temper tantrums.

One particularly fun "close call" was when I was making a left from Pine Island Drive onto the road that runs up between Best Buy and the slew of steakhouses on the left. That intersection is notorious for near misses and enthusiastic exchanges between drivers.

I was in the left turn lane, waiting for traffic to clear when a guy coming from the Best Buy side came half way across the intersection, completely blocking traffic heading towards 17. Guess he anticipated me crossing that lane earlier than I felt it was safe. He then proceeded to flip me off, yell at me, rolling down his window and shaking his fist and motioning for me to go...into oncoming traffic. Thanks buddy. It was shocking to me how furious he was. I honestly think if I had engaged him in any way he would have exited his car to physically attack me. Nut job.

Today while driving on 501 towards the beach I was nearly involved in a carpooling project I didn't sign up for. The speed limit changes from 55 to 45 just before the intercoastal waterway bridge. A driver behind me was either unaware or didn't care because he was soooo close that had I sneezed, he would have ended up in the backseat. Mind you, there was plenty of opportunity for him to either back off or move into the left lane, he choose to ride very close while waving his hands all over the place in obvious frustration with me. And for the record, I was traveling at approximately 47 mph.

Being completely honest...it makes me nervous. There's a great commercial where two gentleman are in a grocery store, but driving carts. One isn't moving quite fast enough and the one behind him is sighing heavily, bumps him, yells a bit. The message is, "would you act like this if you weren't behind the wheel of a car?"

So drivers in and around the Grand Strand area, I have a message for you. Chill out! Seriously, you're scaring me. Pull yourself together and act like an adult behind the wheel of that car. Because trust me, fixing it after you bump someone can be quite costly. ;-)

No comments: