Thursday, July 24, 2008

Murder Mystery Dinner Night Out

I've got family in from out-of-town this week and when they're here I tend to turn into a tourist. Each time they visit, I, along with my mom, sister-in-law and nieces try to take a night to go out with just the girls. We've done restaurants and shopping to death. This year, we took a different approach - murder mystery dinner theater.

Admittedly, when it first started out I thought it was lame. While amusing, the bad over-acting made me roll my eyes. Besides...I was hungry. I felt like I could concentrate on the details of the "case" a little better after some salad.

As the night progressed, the case got more amusing. Random people out of the audience were chosen to talk about whether or not they had known the "deceased". The "detective" would ask "Nikki (or whatever the audience member's name was) do you like to dance?" Nikki would answer, "sure, with my friends." The detective would read a letter to her that was found in the deceased's pocket detailing her contract for employment at a local strip joint. It was pretty funny. That is, until, one of those guys tried to become the star of the show and played along a little too much. I'll hope for his family that he just had a drink or two too many. If he's that annoying in real life, I'm sure he's loads of fun to take out in public. Anyway..................

The meal, itself, was pretty bad. Salad was good and the dessert was good. The chicken, potatoes and veggies were over seasoned and disappointing...but I ate most of it anyway. LOL

By night's end, I wrote a novella detailed motives and ID-ing the killers. Others at my table were conned into believing I knew something they didn't. That wasn't the case, of course. I'm a writer and, let's face it, can make up crap pretty well.

During the awards ceremony several people were commended for their creative and correct answers. Unfortunately, you only got a prize if you answered ridiculously like "I did it. I was so mad that the chicken was so bad that I decided to take matters into my own hands and end the misery of this show continuing." Guess who ended up on this list? Yep - that guy. He said his wife did it because she was sleeping with one of the actors and blah blah blah...

I went into this night with a small attitude thinking it would be lame, but it turned out to be so much fun! Something like this would definitely be a fun girls night out, couples date, or a night out with your husband!

No comments: