Saturday, July 11, 2009

Myrtle Beach Restaurant Review - Giovanni's

If anyone has read my blog in the past, you'll know I loved Stefano's on Oak Heart Rd. near Piggly Wiggly in Carolina Forest. Loved it. I've learned that they still have their Florence, SC location open and one of these days I may just make the drive. In the meantime, though, Giovanni's has opened in Stefano's old location and, well, I'm pleased!

We ordered a simple cheese pizza from there the past week for pick-up. The service was quick and I barely made it back to the house with the pizza in tact. It smelled ridiculously good!

The crust was crunchy on the bottom and ends, but the dough was pillowy and soft on top of it. It was airy, much like foccacia bread. The best part was the sauce. I don't know what the deal is, but many pizza places, the biggest offenders being franchises, have super sweet marinara sauce. Papa John's, in my opinion, is the worst example. Giovanni's sauce is perfect! I taste rich tomatoes and their acid, salt and a sweet spice, perhaps basil, but no big amount of sugar. Thank you! We got a large cheese pizza and Caesar salad. The total was just over $19. I'd say that's a tad expensive, but when pizza has me wanting to tear into it on the way home, it's worth it.

After hearing me rave about our meal, my mom wanted to go into the restaurant for dinner tonight. Better for you because now I can comment on ambiance too!

When we arrived at 6:00 PM on this Saturday night, we were seated immediately. There were only a few tables full of patrons. Behind us was a lovely gentleman playing the accordion. The music was loud enough to be enjoyed, but not overbearing. He was only feet away from us and we didn't have to speak to each other loudly over the music.

When we arrived, I'll guess the average age of the customer at about 67. To my surprise, the interior and place settings were a bit more upscale than I expected. I felt the need to keep my girls on the quiet side. When one of the grumped out on me, I immediately felt obligated to pull out the big gun "We will leave RIGHT NOW if you can't act like a lady." threat. Thankfully everyone complied and we were able to enjoy our meal.

Our waiter was very nice and eager to please. After placing our orders, he brought out delicious, crusty, hot bread and oil with spices for dunking. I could have eaten the loaf! It had that same crunchy crust with soft dough on the inside as the pizza. Yum!

Our first course was salads. They were basic with lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumbers. My ranch dressing was good. Mom's bleu cheese dressing was bland and needed salt, but that led me to believe they were both homemade.

For dinner I ordered a simple classic, just to test out the fundamentals - lasagna. When it was delivered, I was immediately telling my husband and mom that I'm thinking the sheets of pasta were homemade and fresh. My portion was very large and I came home with half of it. It was smothered in that same, heavenly marinara sauce, only this time it had meat in it. The quantity of mozzarella and ricotta cheeses was perfect. Not too much, not too little. I won't lie, I'm craving tomorrow's lunch already!

I was interrupted mid-lasagna by my girls to use the bathroom. I can pleasantly report they were clean and warm. The restaurant is kept a bit chilly, so it was a nice change.

Upon returning, we decided to have cake and coffee. I decided on a Kahlua cake. Our waiter only described the dessert choices to us, rather than reading about them on a menu. I wish I had asked questions because I anticipated a chocolate cake, soaked in Kahlua or with Kahlua cream inside. Instead, I believe it was a ricotta cheese cake with Kahlua sauce. Don't get me wrong. It was very good, not overly sweet and light. I just had something else in my mind.

The end bill for three salads, three adult entrees, a small cheese pizza (10 inches), child's pasta. two cups of coffee, one lemonade and two pieces of cake was $84.00. I'd say that was a bit pricier than we'd normally spend, but the quality of the food was excellent. I'll gladly pay it again and again!

If you go to Giovanni's, bring a sweater and a big appetite. Our only issue was the temperature and a glass of wine that was ordered, never delivered and appeared on the bill. That was very easily corrected, though. And to be fair, I never reminded our waiter that the wine had never came. I only half-heartedly ordered it.

No comments: