Saturday, July 11, 2009

Myrtle Beach Resturant Review - Johnny Rocket's at Broadway at the Beach

Ever go south on I95 and see signs for South of the Border starting in Philadelphia? (I can't believe they don't have their own website, by the way.) I think everyone would agree it's a tourist trap filled with expensive junk, yet something loads of people feel compelled to experience for themselves, at least once in their lives. I now put Johnny Rockets in the same category.

My mom and I took my little gals to Johnny Rockets for lunch the other day. It's located at Broadway at the Beach, which is always a risk in July. Thankfully it was an overcast day and crowds were at a minimum. Plus, it was early, so we got right in.

The very cool thing about Johnny Rockets is the environment. We love 50's tunes. We love the dances that go along with them! The music and waitstaff alone is greatly entertaining. But then I looked at the menu...

I'm going to cut to the chase here. My hamburger was $7.50. It was a Smokehouse Single. On it were two slices of bacon, some cheese, an onion ring and BBQ sauce. It was overcooked, but still fairly good. No fries were included. We bought a basket of the to share. Cheese fries were $5.50, I believe. Drinks were $2.50

The cheese fries were dreadful. They were dry, unseasoned (including salt) and had a waxy slab of melted cheddar cheese on them. I had envisioned something in a melty Cheese Whiz.

While the entertainment was good and I enjoyed the fun atmosphere, I felt gouged. All over the menu there were indicators that they were offering 10% off menu price. When I asked about a local's discount, I was told they did have one - 10%. Ummmm...isn't that what I get even if I don't live locally?

It will be a long long long time before I return to Johnny Rockets. It will be equally long before I return to South of the Border. Sorry tourists, just bein' honest.

No comments: