Monday, September 28, 2009

A bit disappointed at Greek Fest

I'm hanging my head in shame because I talked up Greek Fest like it was the best thing since cheesecake. Sadly, we didn't have the best time this year.

I can't pinpoint what the big difference was, but we left feeling let down. The food was only pretty good. I got a chicken gyro and the flatbread was so dry it was crumbling around the chicken. I also go spanokopita and unfortunately ended up with another phyllo dough creation with potato, I believe. Hubby got a gyro platter and experienced the same bread issue, but was otherwise fairly satisfied. Both girls got a corn dog and one order of fries between then. We also got two waters and a Pepsi. The total was $31...which felt kind of pricey to me. Before leaving we also got a desert sampler for another $10.

As we wandered the grounds of the festival, our children immediately dragged us to the bouncies. The traditional bounce house was $2 for five minutes. We, of course, sent our girls right in, only to have one come out crying a few minutes later. It turns out the whole inside was wet and the kids were slipping. Not cool. There was an absolute downpour the night before and it was clear that the folks in charge of the bouncies did not properly dry them out. I'm thankful my daughter didn't get badly hurt, but I was not happy.

Another bouncey option was this HUGE slide the children had to climb up through mesh levels to get to the top. This monstrosity was $5 per child per attempt. Anyone else think that's a bit much?

Another typical favorite part of the Greek fest for me is the craft vendors. This year the stuff fell into two categories for me. 1) Damp or 2) quite expensive. I bought nothing.

We left there having spent $45 and not terribly satisfied. If you went to the festival this year, did you feel like it was up to snuff, or is it just me?

On a happier note, we ended up at North Myrtle Beach's Irish Italian festival, also on Saturday, and it was great! My girlies were able to do bouncies for $1 per "ride" and plant a pansy for free as part of Home Depot's children's workshop. We left there pretty happy. Perhaps we'll hit that one first next year. Despite my disappointment with Greek Fest, the dessert sample lasted about two hours in our house!

No comments: